Because they're delicious, addictive, surprising, memorable.

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Middlemarch

One of my new favorite books. I avoided it for years because it's sooo long (about 800 pages, depending on the edition), but am glad I finally overcame my reluctance.  George Eliot (Mary Ann Evans) develops a great cast of characters, but what's particularly refreshing/interesting to me is that the book focuses more on marriage than courtship.  If you haven't seen the movie and don't want to read 800 pages, I recommend the movie as excellent and very true to the book. 

1 comment:

  1. I had the same experience!! Everybody kept saying that Middlemarch was the best novel ever written. And I kept putting off reading it because it's so long. Also, there was no way it would live up to that kind of hype. Then finally in grad school, since 19C novels is my area, I watched the movie, which I liked so much that I read the book. And now I have to say that everybody was right. It really is the best novel ever written (well, at least it's up there). Love it.

    ReplyDelete