Because they're delicious, addictive, surprising, memorable.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

unbroken

Several of my neighbors LOVE this book. When I told a friend that I didn't like it she was speechless--and this friend is never speechless.  I later noticed that she'd listed it on her Christmas card as her favorite book she'd read this year. 

A couple years ago I sent Unbroken as a gift to one of my parents. They never read it--looked liked a downer. They were so right. I admit, having suffered through the book, I gained appreciation for people who serve in the military and an understanding of why we dropped bombs on Japan.  But I don't enjoy vicarious suffering and this book is chapter after chapter of starvation, deprivation, abuse, detioration. War stinks. The book is very detailed--well-researched--but I wish Hillenbrand had an editor who told her to cut half the details. (But then, I feel the same about Disney's Snow White and It's a Wonderful Life. Way too long.)

3 comments:

  1. Ha! I started this book and could never get into it, despite rave reviews from a good friend whose opinion I respect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we bought this book for my parents for christmas a year or two ago with kindles. they weren't thrilled, either, for the same reasons. i thought it would be a good choice b/c my mom and i both really enjoyed seabiscuit. i will now avoid it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments! Hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete